18 Mar The Importance of Maintaining Your Garage Door
If your property has a garage door, you’ll want to learn why regular, preventative maintenance is important for it’s safe operation and lifespan.
Why is it Important to Keep Your Garage Door Maintained?
Helps With Safety
Most importantly on this list, maintaining your garage door ensures that it stays safe to operate. Garage Doors are heavy and the mechanisms can be quite complex, so they can become quite dangerous if something goes wrong. Maintenance ensures that everything is operating as it should, and any problems are rectified before they can become a hazard
If you keep your vehicles in your garage, you’ll likely want to ensure they’re kept safe, plus a garage door can lead to another entry way into your home. If your door becomes damaged or stops working properly, it can compromise access and security.
Ensure Smooth Operation
When the door is having difficulties opening and closing, this can really affect your day to day schedule. So, by keeping up with regular maintenance, you can easily avoid any problems. Plus once a small issue in a garage door becomes a problem that requires extensive repairs, your door could potentially be out of order for a long time while it is fixed, leaving you unable to use your garage space in the meantime.
Allows You to Avoid Costly, Extensive Repairs
Making sure that your garage door is regularly maintained stops small problems which are quick and cheap to fix, from turning into bigger and more costly repairs. For most of the common issues that affect garage doors, such as a faulty spring or a misaligned track, maintenance will be able to identify the problem and fix it before it becomes worse, and even more expensive to fix.
Keep it Looking Great
A garage door makes up a large part of the curb appeal of your home, and a garage door which is looking worse for wear – either via discolouration, dirt or damage – can really make the whole property look run down and neglected. Keeping your garage door looking in top condition can really boost your home’s aesthetic, plus can actually increase the property value!
Increase Durability and your Garage Door’s Life Span
By ensuring that your garage door is regularly maintained, you will boost the durability of your door. It will last for the expected lifespan or even longer if it is cared for regularly and repairs are made when they’re needed.
Garage Door Maintenance Checklist
Here’s a handy checklist with timeframes for preventative garage door maintenance:
- Visual and audio Inspection – once a month, operate your garage door with the specific intent of watching and listening to how it functions. This will allow you to focus on anything that looks or sounds untoward, such as grinding, scraping or squeaking noises. You should also look out for any warping.
- Lubricate spring, joints and openings – Do this every couple of months.
- Professional Maintenance and Service – Have your garage door professionally checked over and serviced once a year
- Check the balance – twice a year, close your garage door halfway, and it it doesn’t stay in place, the springs aren’t balanced and you should call a professional to come and fix it
- Check rollers – twice a year, check your rollers for any chips, cracks or general wear and tear.
- Check and Wash the door – When the door starts to look dirty, give it a wash with some soapy water. While doing this, keep an eye out for any chipped or peeling paint
- Seasonal – We’ve also written an article on seasonal specific maintenance jobs for your garage door in the Summer and Winter.
Further advice on maintaining your garage door
If you have any more questions about how to maintain your garage door, please don’t hesitate to contact our friendly team who will be able to offer expert advice, or arrange a regular maintenance schedule.